1. Have a rehearsal pencil.
2. Use the rehearsal pencil to make appropriate score markings not create indecipherable squiggles / send notes to the person sat next to me.
3. Go a whole rehearsal without having to ask someone nearby where we’re going from because I wasn’t paying attention.
4. Do fewer impressions of the Muppet Show’s Swedish Chef by learning ALL the words to Beethoven 9. Ditto Mahler 2.
5. Read rehearsal schedules / concert notices. Write the correct times in my diary. Turn up at those times.
6. Sing something I think I’m not going to like.
7. Send a prayer of thanks to the audition gods who have kept me safe for another year.
8. Accept that I am a soprano and stop making faces at the high notes.
9. Appreciate all the amazing opportunities I get to work with wonderful orchestras, singers and conductors.
10. Sing as much as possible, for singing is the way to have a truly happy new year.
With thanks to Eluned Mansell at CBSO Chorus who we believe wrote this in the first place, and to Auriel for sharing it on Facebook!